Monday, August 29, 2011

Revelation & OUR FIRST PICTURE!!


Note of explanation:  Ryan completed EMT Basic and Intermediate training before his mission, so that will help you understand his frustration with not being allowed to properly assess the lady in the story he tells.


Hello again family!
Thanks Megan for the Dear Elders and I did get an email from all of you even though the internet was not working well.
Jared, I’m so proud of you for taking first! My entire life in soccer tournaments I only got 1st once and took second so many times! It made me so mad! If you don’t believe me we will go through all my trophies when I get home and I’ll show you.  I wish I could have been there for the baby blessing, it sounds like it was a pretty special experience.
That, and it also sounds like the house is getting very quiet. Adam and Matt leaving? I wish them the best and pray that god will bless them at this time in life. It actually goes along with what I wanted to share with all of you today.

Everyday, as I learn more and more about missionary work and how to help people and really pay attention to things, I’ve had a lot of experiences with personal revelation.  My whole life I have had this idea of personal revelation being something that only happens once and a while to people in the church who are making big decisions. Like Jobs, School, People, Wife.  But in reality it happens every minute of everyday, if you’ll let it.  As a missionary, you are assigned to a country, and in that country a city, and in that city an area. That area is yours! And with that trusted assignment from the Lord he wants us to come to him for direction on how it should be handled. So far most of the time I have been looking for the answers to questions about my area in my companion, the Preach my Gospel and in other missionaries. While these things are very good and have lots of good advice.  It all still comes down to me.  Everyday, in every prayerful moment, being able to listen to what the lord is telling me to do, what to say, or who I need to visit. It’s still something I'm sure I'll be working on for the rest of my life, but I have definitely made a lot of progress lately. So applying it into all of your lives is up to you! You all have your own areas, your own people, problems, obstacles. Seek that personal revelation straight from God. As members of the church of Jesus Christ today I think we, a lot of us, all go to the wrong places for answers first. Instead of first getting on your knees and asking Heavenly Father. We overlook it and seek other places for guidance: Friends, books, ward members, doctors, counselors, people on the radio, Oprah, Dr. Phil. Though all these are great places and usually don’t have any harm in them.
They should be 2nd after our Father in Heaven.  We should do all we can first, to seek the personal revelation for us!  God knows us better than anyone else and only he fully understands the complexity of each individual’s life.
Seek Personal Revelation!

This week I had an experience where during our weekly planning session we have on Thursdays, Elder Ott comes into our room in Panic! He says I need your help casting out a demon from one of my recent converts!
We got on our bikes and on our way over he was telling us that she was sick and he gave her a blessing and as soon as he ended she fell on the floor and started screaming, crying, and yelling! We get there and sure enough she is on the floor hitting herself and calling out for god to help her. There is nothing in our handbook about these situations and we aren’t allowed to give any medical assistance. Which sucks for me! They were all making phone calls to ward members and leaders to see if they could find someone with a car to take her to the hospital. During this time I was watching her and gathering what information I could to figure out what is wrong.  In my mind her signs and symptoms just didn’t add up and it didn’t make any sense. I wasn’t allowed to take her temperature or get a pulse or anything so I couldn’t see if her condition was real or not. But I continued to monitor her anyway. Like three hours later we finally got her into a hospital. Elder Conway and I left while Elder Ott and his comp. went with her. For the rest of the day I was telling Elder Conway, I think she is faking it, so she could have someone take her to a hospital and pay for her. It was a legitimate option but we took precautions anyway.  Later that afternoon we were told she was already returned home, just fine, and the branch had to pay 20 dollars for her. GO ME!!!  I knew it. But we had to do what we had to do anyway.  It ruined our whole day and made a mess of the branch members a little bit, but we got it under control.

Dad, our living conditions are way good compared to the rest of the city! Our water goes out and the power does too. Which means some days we don’t get showers and some days we can’t make very good food. I think you’ll get a good laugh when I tell you our water bill each month is 6 dollars and our electrical is like 14 dollars.

 I’m attaching a photo I hope will work. It’s a photo of me and one of my investigators at their house. His name is Benion and he is deaf. So we have to teach him by writing things down! It’s very cool. The lady is his wife and she is a member.



Love all of you and wish you the best this week!
Do the hard things, seeking revelation along the way! That’s your fortune cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment